Classic Italian Foods are the thing that most people miss when living a gluten free life style. From the bread to the noddles - all things Italian have gluten in them. So coming up with ways to substitute the Italian classics has been a real challenge for me!
I was able to make this simple Chicken Piccata using gluten-free flour. It was AMAZING! I wanted to keep eating it all night!
Gluten Free Chicken Piccata
- 2 skinless and boneless chicken breasts, butterflied and then cut in half
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup Gluten Free Flour, for dredging ( I used this recipe, but you can use rice flour or your usual flour substitute)
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup brined capers, rinsed - if you want. I didn't have any and it still tasted AMAZING!
Season chicken with salt and pepper. Dredge chicken in flour.
When butter and oil start to sizzle, add 2 pieces of chicken and cook for 5 minutes. When chicken is browned, flip and cook other side for 5 minutes. Remove and transfer to plate. Melt 2 more tablespoons butter. When butter starts to sizzle, add the other 2 pieces of chicken and brown both sides in same manner. Remove pan from heat and add chicken to the plate.
Into the pan add the lemon juice, stock and wine. Return to stove and bring to boil, scraping up brown bits from the pan for extra flavor. Check for seasoning. Return all the chicken to the pan and simmer for 5 minutes.
Remove chicken to platter. Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter to sauce and whisk vigorously. Pour sauce over chicken. Enjoy over Corn Pasta!
Adapted for a Gluten Free Diet from Giada's Chicken Piccata