Friday, December 23, 2011
Quinoa Italian Stuff Peppers
Merry Christmas Eve! I hope everyone is at home or on their way to spend Christmas with their loved ones. I am spending a week with my lovely family, teaching them how to eat gluten free! :-) Here is one we did the other day!
Ever since I saw my friend Sherri @ Life of a Wife posted this recipe for stuffed peppers, I have been making and experimenting with this amazing, fun, and delicious dish. And now that I am eating a gluten free lifestyle, I have really enjoyed making these about twice a month.
Quinoa is an amazing little grain. It is like couscous, but crunchier. And its gluten free. If you haven't tired it, you should. Its great with anything you would serve with rice or pasta.
Here is my recipe for Quinoa Italian Stuff Peppers!
Ingredients: (about one bell pepper person, if a main course)
- 3 Large Bell Peppers, sliced in half and de-seeded
- 1/4 pound ground turkey
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 or 3 small mushrooms chopped
- 3/4 cup of your favorite pasta sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese (more and less depending on you love for cheese!)
- 1/2 cup dry quinoa (should equal about 1 cup cooked)
1. Place Bell Peppers in a 9x13 pan that has sides.
2. Cook Quinoa according to package directions - while cooking complete next steps
3. Brown gournd turkey (ground chicken or ground beef would work great - or no meat!)
4. Once browned add chopped onion and mushrooms. Cook until soft.
5. Add the pasta sauce and let simmer until quinoa is finished cooking.
6. Now its time to stuff the peppers! Add a spoon full on qunioa first (you will most likely not use all the qunioa), then add another spoonful or two of sauce - using all the sauce. Then add cheese.
7. Bake in oven uncovered for 20-30 minutes at 350, or until most of the cheese is melted. Broil for 2 minutes at the end if the peppers are soft and the cheese isn't melted.
These are so good! I hope you enjoy them! Merry Christmas!